This project funded by Creative Partnerships involved a challenge issued to the class by their teacher to design a mathematical puzzle for other students.We researched the structure of the pyramids, did a little geometry and surveying on the football pitch, used Excel for working out some really big sums and did some masonry on real blocks of limestone.
Above all, we made a useful link with a local company using CADCAM to supply custom joinery – they supplied us with thousands of wooden blocks with which to experiment, so that we could make a 3D model of an interlocking pyramid puzzle. At first we ignored the sloping sides and focused on the block structure. When we had agreed what features would make the best puzzle I turned it into a design for the joiners to make up for us.
Click here for this case study in full